Fall is my favorite season! I love the cooler weather, the changing leaves, and it doesn't hurt that squash is in season. If you haven't tried spaghetti squash either as a substitute for pasta or as a side, you're missing out!
Makes 4 servings
1 spaghetti squash (about 3 lbs)
1 lb (big package) of sliced button mushrooms
1 cup chopped onion
1 tbsp of minced garlic (I love garlic)
1 cup halved cherry/grape tomatoes
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese or goat cheese, your taste buds can make the call
(This can be omitted, makes for a creamier, lactose having sauce) 2 sun-dried tomato, basil laughing cow cheese wedges
- With the tip of a knife, pierce squash in about 5 places
- Place on paper towel in microwave and cook on high for 10 minutes, or until squash has softened
- When cool enough to handle, cut squash lengthwise and remove seeds with a spoon. Remove the spaghetti-like strands of squash with a fork, set aside and cover to keep warm.
- Heat large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add a single layer of mushrooms and cook for about 5-7 minutes until mushrooms become brown on one side
- Stir in onion and garlic, cook until onions are softened
- Add tomatoes and cheese until cheese is melted and bubbly
- Spoon sauce over spaghetti squash and eat up!