Navigating Nutrition by Minding Your Mindset

With all of the rain here lately in Colorado I am wondering if any of you, like me, have a little baking bug that kicked in this week?  Mmmmm.  I love to bake.  And although I used to fill up the kitchen with cookies, breads and bars, I am now experimenting with more gluten free and grain free recipes.  I'd love to have you share yours if you have some favorites! I won't be the first person to tell you that sugar and processed flours aren't the best things to eat.  But many of us have such an emotional attachment to our baked goodies, that it's hard not to want to have a great treat from time to time.  Our suggestion is that you plan your food so you are eating 100% on target for your health goals 80% of the time, and then allow a splurge or two the other 20% of the time.  If you eat 4 times per day during the week, that's about 5 splurges per week.

How will you know if you are eating well 80% of the time?  Well, #1) be honest with yourself, and keep track of your meals and food so you know where and when you are getting in your treats. #2) Use our "Nutrition Musts list" below to help you navigate your own nutrition choices in a way that will help you feel more energized and in control. #3) Practice visualization and self-compassion.  See yourself eating well and feeling great, and give your self compassion when you "fall off the wagon".  It won't help you to beat yourself up or punish yourself for not being perfect!

Nutrition Musts:

  • Drink ½ your body weight in ounces of water daily. Try adding a pinch of ground pure Celtic or Himalayan sea salt to you water to keep you electrolytes up.  Or consider adding some fresh lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to your water to help with your body's pH.
  • ALWAYS eat breakfast within an hour of when you wake up. Eat as much protein as you can in this meal- ideally somewhere between 15-25 grams.
  • Eat every 4 hours or so, keeping your sugar and flour intake low and your veggies high. Shoot for getting a minimum of 5 servings of vegetables a day.
  • Fat is your friend. Fat helps stabilize blood sugar, it builds our cell walls, assists with hormone production and regulation, and keeps us full and satisfied. Some great fats include avocados, fish, raw nuts, seeds, olive oil, coconut oil, and raw nut butters.
  • Many people have food sensitivities to things like gluten, dairy, corn, or soy. Consider keeping these food choices to a minimum. If you are looking for a whole grain choose quinoa or brown rice. If you find that eating dairy helps you get your protein, choose high protein sources like Greek yogurt or cottage cheese.
  • Keep snacks on hand and prepare your lunch every day (or at least have an idea of what you will eat before you get starving).  Do what you can to eat a protein with a vegetable as often as you can.  Some good options are:
    • Sliced carrots, celery or zucchini with egg salad spread
    • Sliced celery with raw nut butter
    • Lettuce wraps of diced chicken and avocado
  • Do not drink your calories (unless it’s a yummy smoothie meal!). This means no soda or juice, and potentially no milk. Herbal tea, water, and occasionally sparkling water sweetened with a little Stevia and lemon is fine.
  • Reserve fruit and dark chocolate as treats or for dessert.